Jackmans, St. Michael
The St. Matthews Primary School formally known as St. Matthew's Mixed School was founded between 1830 and 1834 on landed deeded from Friendship Plantation. The first building was similar in architectural design and structure to the former St. George Boys' School. The sexes were separated in 1897 and individual school were established for both boys and girls. The first building became the St. Matthew's Girls and the newly constructed hall became St. Matthew's Boys. By 1981 it became a composite school and in 1989 the school was renamed St. Matthews Primary School.
A Special Unit Programme was also introduced in 2002. Students will learning disabilities were admitted to the school. Students of different age groups by the Ministry of Education, receive individual guidance from trained Special Education Teachers.
In truthful speech, honest action and pure thoughts, be thou an example.
Creativity catering to the varied needs of our 21st century students.
To enhance student learning by exploring all possibilities to bring out the best in all our students.