Queen's College was established in its present form in 1883 as a secondary grammar school for girls, although its original foundation as part of a co-educational inistitution dates back to 1683.
Queen's College existed as a girls' school from 1826 to 1981 when it again became a co-educational secondary school. In 1990 the school was relocated from the small original site at Constitution Road, St. Michael to its present 20 acre campus, Husbands, St. James.
Fiat. Lux. (Let There Be Light).
Queen's College seeks to provide for all students an excellent secondary and tertiary education - academic, social, moral and physical - which wil enable them to function effectively as citizens in a changing environment.
Quiet and ordered hours,
Work and leisure and play:
Here are the budded powers
The world waits on our way,
And the gate swings slow apart,
And around us rises the stir of the fray,
-But it comes not into our heart.
Here we train for the future's race,
Here we look into learning's face,
Here we sit at her gracious feet,
Who steels our strength for the nearing fight,
When we arise with our arms complete,
We shall carry the light, we shall carry the light .
Life is a road to tread,
In dust and labour and heat;
But the light shines over our head,
And the thought of the goal is sweet.
What of the weary feet,
If the heart beats high to the end?
What if the past has known defeat?
The future is ours to mend.
Here we measure the morrow's aim,
Here we kindle the morrow's flame,
Here we learn for the love of our land,
Handled and made for the service of right,
We shall lift our lamp with a loyal hand,
We shall carry the light, we shall carry the light.